Saturday, January 22, 2005

demon.net home page

demon.net home page
Last week was a bad week. I wont go into specifics of why at this current time, but I was notified that my "job is at risk" which means my job is going to be made redundant at the end of Feb.

It's all been a bit of a shock, but these things happen.

I've been at Demon Internet since '94, but was officially employed in March '95 so that's almost 10 years to the day that I'll have been there.

I was part of the original group of people that had a meeting with Cliff Stanford and thought Internet could be successfull in the UK prior to anything actually having been decided. I was one of the founder members when it did launch in June 1992.

I also instigated the vPoP (virtual Point of Presence) which is where Demon bought backhaul from Energis who had local numbers throughout the UK and terminated them in a single data centre. This directly lead to the formation of the 0845 (non-geographic) number range which changed the face of Internet in the UK.

So I'm (potentially) looking for a new job.

My role at THUS (Scottish Telecom acquired Demon in March 1998 and floated as THUS in November 1999) has been "Head of Product Futures" where I've owned the Product Roadmap. I've also been involved in the regulatory side of things and am a media spokesperson - having written articles etc that have been published both in local and national press.

I would describe myself as a "fluffy geek". Though I have a good technical knowledge, I've not been directly involved with technology projects for a while.

So if anyone knows of any Internet/telco strategy type roles or wants someone who can explain technology to non-techie people, do get in contact.

Steve

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?