Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Camden Council: Parking

Camden Council: Parking

Well I can honestly say I disklike Camden Council, they are unhelpful to the extreme.

Up until recently I had a job which came with a company car, I had a resident's parking permit. That was OK, my employer just provider a letter with a copy of the V5 (UK car registration document) that said I was the driver, and all was well. When my employment terminated, I gave back the car. I still have a valid permit, but no car.

Fortunately my sister (who is "burdened" with 8 month old twins, so doesn't get out much) leant me her car. All well and good. She even wrote a letter saying I had permanent use of it, and gave me a copy of the V5. Included in the letter was a statement saying my father is disabled and I'd be driving him around (he is genuinely registered as disabled).

I then went to the local Camden offices and presented the paperwork, hoping they'd transfer the permit to my sister's car, even just for a few weeks while I go for job interviews, and occasionally drive my father around.

Of course no such luck, they point blank refused. They will only issue permits for registered owners, hire cars and company cars (and of course all the other permits like businesses getting multiple permits etc). They wont issue permits for friends' or relatives' cars, that's the policy.

I wasn't amused, and complained to my ward councillor (who I must say was extremely helpful). Haven't heard a response yet, though I doubt they'll have much better luck unfortunately, especially since the councillors are having an ongoing battle with Camden about accountability of the Parking Solutions bit (i.e. there isn't any).

Comments:
Camden - and the other councils who have chosen to opt out of the blue badge scheme - are VERY unhelpful. I got a ticket in Westminster because I didn't know I was in the borough (no "Welcome to..." signs, and I was only just inside it) and when I asked them to help so I could return I was told if I wasn't a resident that was tough. Even though I entered the area to work. Grr. I share your irritation.

Flash
 
It's all part of the Government's and Red Ken's plan to get us all using public transport because it's "greener" regardless of how many children we have or what disabilities people might have!
 
Agree that camden are unhelpful in the extreme; but in response to the previous comment, maybe greg should get his children to walk rather than join the ranks of increasingly obese children ferried to school in four-wheeled drives....?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?