Friday, March 04, 2005

O2: The leading mobile phone site on the Web

O2: The leading mobile phone site on the Web
O2 as they're now known as are a mobile operator in the UK. My ex employer recently moved their business to them and when I was made redundant I had to transfer my phone contract to a personal account.

I have two SIMs, one I use for everyday use in my phone, while the 2nd one is in my iPaq (6340 - I'll write something on that another time). When I was under a business contract the iPaq SIM was actually on a "Blackberry" rate, which is great, not much voice, but a fair ammount of data traffic per month. Unfortunately the Blackberry tarrif isn't available to "consumers" which I now fall into the category of.

This meant I had to chose two voice tarrifs and add a GPRS data bundle to one of them, a real pain as the ammount of data is severely limited, then they charge per MB (at an extorsionate rate).

They must understand more people are going to use phone for data use, even O2 sell a PDA (the XDA range), but as a consumer you cant get a data deal.

Another irritation is that they are billed seperately, I believe Orange are now offering a deal whereby you can have two SIMs using the same number (i.e. mobile number), which is perfect for a data user. Your main SIM goes in the phone and your data SIM goes into your PDA/Blackberry. Maybe I'm going to have to port ... of course this assumes that Orange's GPRS service works (I've heard bad rumours, but nothing specific).

We'll see how it goes and what my first bill is.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?